Thursday, June 12, 2014

A Look At Face Primers

About a year ago, I had no interest in face primers. I would apply my foundation straight onto my skin, which there is nothing wrong with, but I feel like a proper base enhances the appearance and longevity of your makeup. And if you work so hard to apply all that makeup, why wouldn't you want it to last all day?? So, for the past 6 months, I have been on a hunt for a primer that keeps my makeup on all day (or the majority of the day!) and minimizes the amount of oil on my face.


I'm big on experimenting with multiple products so this was no exception. I have been using these 5 face primers for a decent amount of time and some are amazing and some...not so great.


1. Maybelline 'Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser'
I will admit, I purchased this product mainly because every one and their mother was talking about it! This primer has a silicone-y, almost greasy feel to it (a big no-no for my oily skin!). It's meant to "erase" the appearance of pores so I figured it wouldn't really do much for oily skin. I would definitely recommend this product for normal skin types or for those who have large pores. It gives my skin a smoother appearance and although i don't have large pores, it reduces the size of my medium-sized pores. Although it creates a smooth base, I find that my foundation applies differently. Before I set it with powder, it almost feels slippery, as if it can't adhere to my skin. Although I always set my foundation with powder, after a few hours, I get this slippery feeling again and I find that most of my foundation has rubbed off.


2. Forever21 'Smoothing Face Balm'
I think this product is pretty basic when it comes to face primers. The product itself is not specifically for face priming, but I use this product as a base. I find that it gives my skin a smooth and flawless appearance. Similar to 'Baby Skin,' it reduces the appearance of pores and almost blurs out imperfections. It doesn't enhance my oily skin, but it doesn't control it either. I really like this product mainly because it is such a basic primer that creates a smooth and even base for my foundation. I just really don't like the packaging. I don't like putting my fingers in the jar and using a brush gets bristles in the product!

3. L'Oreal 'Magic Lumi' 
If you're a fan of dewy skin, the Magic Lumi primer is a winner for you! Although I have oily skin, I feel like a matte finish makes me look flat. When I want healthy looking skin, I automatically reach for this primer. It doesn't improve the longevity of my makeup, but it definitely gives my skin a healthy glow. But, on extremely hot days or even on days where I'm sweating, this primer makes me look too oily and shiny (disco ball status)! I would recommend avoiding this primer in the summer if you have oily skin, but for the winter season, it's perfection!

4. Forever21 'Face Primer'
The Forever21 face primer is almost an exact dupe of 'Magic Lumi.' It has basically the same formula, but I feel like the Forever21 'Face Primer' gives a more subtle glow. Again, it doesn't improve the longevity of my makeup, but it gives a subtle glow to my skin. The only thing I really don't like about this product is the smell... If you hate the smell of generic hand soap, then stay away!

5. Miracle Skin Transformer 'Tinted Skin Enhancer'
The 'Tinted Skin Enhancer' is also a pretty basic product. It's a 5-in-1 product though so I think it's a great multi-purpose tool! You can use it as a primer, sunscreen, or if you have great skin, as a "foundation." Since it basically has no coverage, I like to use it as a face primer. It has a mousse-like texture and it's very light on the skin. I find that it evens out my skin tone and fills in my pores, but it doesn't improve the longevity of my makeup or control my oily skin. This product is a bit on the pricier side, so I would personally skip out on this splurge.

No comments:

Post a Comment